Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Clean House Synopsis


The Clean House is a dark comedy about loss, love, change and redemption. A serious career-oriented doctor, Lane, has hired a quirky Brazilian maid. The only problem is that the maid, Matilde, hates to clean but loves a good joke. Meanwhile, Charles (Lane's husband) leaves her for a passionate, older Brazilian woman Anna who suffers from breast cancer. The play offers laughter as an antidote for the mess people typically make of love.

I was privileged enough to be able to see a live performance of the play last year after I studied the play. This play alters with the conventions of reality. Sara Ruhl is one of my favorite playwrights so that probably contributed to my enjoyment of the play. I thoroughly appreciate the dynamics that she applies to her plays. There is comedy, there is love, there is visual fulfillment for the eye suggested through her stage directions. The Clean House is filthy with delicious dialogue and an enriched plot.

1 comment:

  1. I do feel that I could perform a monologue from this play maybe from the hispanice character to show that I can alter my tone of voice and utilize an accent.

    ReplyDelete