Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Doubt Synopsis


Doubt: A Parable was written by John Patrick Shanley. The title of the play gives the central theme of the play away. I originally had heard about this play through auditions that were held at SDSU. C.J. Keith is doing her own rendition of the play at the start of the 2011 fall semester. Before the audition I read the entire play and was completely drawn in by the story line. Doubt takes place in 1964 at St. Nicholas, a Catholic Church and school in the Bronx, New York. There are only four characters within this play: Father Flynn, Sister Aloysius, Sister James, and Mrs. Muller. I was called back for Sister Aloysius, whom is a nun within the play, an older nun with authority that suspects unorthodox behavior is being demonstrated behind closed doors by Father Flynn towards a student. The script is powerful and meaningful, there is so much depth to it. The scene where Father Flynn barges in on Sister Aloysius and has a confrontation with her is filled with intensity, that is my favorite scene within the play. The audience will never know what truly went on beyond the scenes performed in front of them, beyond the given plot, hence the play’s name doubt.

If I were to do a monologue from this play I would perform something from the character Sister Aloysius because I would be able to showcase that I can play and older role and have a stern side. Sister Aloysius is a powerful character and I would like to be able to portray that graceful power that she has. 

No comments:

Post a Comment