Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Monologue I will be working on throughout the Class (cuts have been made to the piece...playing it more dramatic)

Monologue fromDying Lightby Jason D. Martin
Dying Light is a play about people dealing with their own mortality.  Jenny
is a bright star in the night that is death.  This monologue is to be played
to the audience.  Jenny's speech should not be tearful; she must tell her
story with the air of a person who has been dealing with her death for
years.  If she can make the audience laugh, the goal of the actress will be
achieved.  For the only way one can deal with such pain is through
laughter.
JENNY:
Glioblastoma.  That's what they say I have...  Glioblastoma.  Sounds like
some kind of science fiction laser.  My Glioblastoma is set for kill.  Just
give the word Captain and I will vaporize the alien beast.  'Course it's not
from Star Trek or Star Wars or Star Blazers.  It's from real life.  But like
one of those types of movies it seems like some kind of alien.  It snuck
inside my head and began eating my brain.  It's no secret that it's set for
kill either.  A Glioblastoma is probably the worst type of tumor you can
get.  Nope, I wasn't lucky enough to only get one little tumor.  Instead I
had a cluster of the damn things.  Every time I had an MRI - that's like a
CAT scan but better - they managed to find a new one.  So three
operations and a ride on the radiation rollarcoaster later, I'm still here.  It's
strange the way people treat you when you're dying.  My Mom try's to
pretend nothings wrong...  Maybe that's for the best.  Recently a doctor
told me I should consider putting my estate in order.  Estate in order!
What's that?  Some clothing, make-up, and a beat up bicycle.  I'm not
going to be leaving a whole lot behind to prove I was here.  Cancer!  
Brain surgeries!  You wouldn't believe how hard it was in high school to
deal with all that crap.  You wouldn't believe how hard it was for a girl with
no hair to find a date to the prom.  Nobody asked me.  Nope...  Nobody
wanted to take the bald chick out.  No big deal.  Ended up having to hire
someone to go with me...  Just kidding.  Actually I ended up asking Henry
Schlatman.  The guy had glasses that were about a foot thick and he still
couldn't see.  On the night of the prom he complimented me on my hair.  I
didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't have any.  Well at least for the
time being I have hair agian.  (
She brushes her fingers through her hair
and pulls out a number of strands.  She looks at the hair for a moment,
then laughs.
)  Well, I'm still alive. (She pulls out a scarf and begins to tie it
over her hair.
)  And I have Tom.  He took me out again last night and we
had a blast.  He's actually very funny when he's not thinking with his
head...  I mean, about his head.  (
Laughs.)  We've been gong out every
night for a week now.  It wouldn't surprise me if this becomes very serious,
very fast.  Las night we rented a really stupid Shwartznegger sequel.  
Usually I would have been annoyed to have wasted my time on such a
lame flick; but Tom made it funny.  He kept talking to the screen.  When
the hero said, "I'll be back;" Tom responded by saying, (
Imitates accent.)
"Don't bother, we won't be here." (
She laughs.  If the audience does not
laugh, add the following line:
Well it was funny at the time.) When he
brought me home last night...  He gave me a kiss I'll never forget.  It was
so romantic.  I've never felt this way about a guy before.  Oh, there I go
with that junior high cheesy love sick lingo.  Well, when you're nineteen
years old, and you know you're going to...  There's no time to waste.  And
Tom is such a good guy.  I think I might be...  God, this sounds so mushy!
 I think I might be falling in love.

2 comments:

  1. Got a little weird when I copied and pasted it...but you get the general gist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY NARRATIVE: A story that I thought of actually happened in my life a long time ago. When I was younger my grandparents would always take my cousin brother, and I up to Big Bear. We have a cabin up there and they would always take us whenever it snowed. One of my first trips up to Big Bear I was about 3 or 4 years old, so I don't really remember this incident. Anyway, my grandfather managed to get our car stuck in the snow and ironically enough we were on the same street as our cabin. When I was little I didn't really have much to say besides saying the word "no," in response to anything anyone would say to me. Well, supposedly I made quite the cute little remark, and it was an actual sentence. With the chaos of being stuck in the snow and with my grandparents bickering I just blurted out, "Uh oh, stuck in the snow in the morning!" From that day on my grandfather has never failed to mention that to me. He says to me, even now, "What happened to the cute little girl that said, 'Stuck in the snow in the morning!' " It has followed me my entire life, and has become my trade mark within our family. I'm the little girl that said 'stuck in the snow in the morning.' My grandpa still sees me as that little girl in his eyes and I think that he always will.

    ReplyDelete